The arts and culture sector has faced one of its greatest challenges to date, with theatres and galleries closed due to Covid-19 restrictions our entire industry fell to its knees. In order for there to be light, and art, at the end of the tunnel we must continue to invest in our artists.
Like magpies, we’ve nabbed links and information from e-shots, tweets and mailouts about funding opportunities for playwrights. We’ve collated them here and will update opportunities as they come in. If you have a funding opportunity you’d like us to include, give us a shout at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Love & Solidarity – the THISISPOPBABY team
- THISISPOPBABY – The Playwright Sessions
- THISISPOPBABY are creating a galvanising space for Playwrights & Theatre Writers. The Playwright Sessions is a yearlong series of online talks and masterclasses with industry heroes. Led by playwright Phillip McMahon and facilitated by Lian Bell, The Playwright Sessions series is open to professional playwrights and theatre writers working on the island of Ireland and the Irish diaspora working professionally overseas. We have had two sessions since October and the next will happen in the new year – sign-up essential. Full details HERE.
- What is a Play? Responses and Reflections from Ireland’s Playwrights and Theatre Makers
- Irish Theatre Institute (ITI) has launched PLAYOGRAPHYIreland’s publication What is a Play? Responses and Reflections from Ireland’s Playwrights and Theatre Makers. This is available here. Please share far and wide! All of the videos from What is a Play? Symposium are available here.
- Soho Theatre – Verity Bargate New Writing Award
- Submissions are now open for the Verity Bargate Award, Soho Theatre’s flagship new writing award with the winning play produced in a full production on our stages. Open to any playwright who has had fewer than three professional productions and who lives in the UK or Ireland. There are no restrictions on subject matter. Musicals and other forms of theatre are welcome but will only be judged on the text that is submitted. The winner receives £7,500 in respect of an exclusive option for Soho Theatre to produce the play. Closing Date 21 January 2022. Full details HERE.
- Bush Theatre – Script Submissions Open
- Bush Theatre are looking for playwrights that tell contemporary stories with wit, style and passion. They are looking for Full length plays (running at 60 minutes or more) from writers based in the UK or Ireland. Closing Date 21 January. Full detailsHERE.
- DEADLINE EXTENDED: TV Comedy | Screen Ireland: Spotlight Development Scheme
- Up to ten participants will be chosen for this scheme to develop a 30 minute TV comedy concept from initial 1-2 page pitch to detailed bible and pilot script stage. Selected writers will be awarded funding of up to €10,000 for individuals and up to €12,000 for teams of two or more writers. Closing Date 24 January. Full details HERE.
- 2022 Papatango New Writing Prize
- Submissions are now open for the 2022 Papatango prize. The competition is open to anyone resident in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland only. The script must be an original, unpublished and unproduced piece of work. The winning writer will receive £7000. Their script will be produced by Papatango in a month-long run in The Large theatre at Southwark Playhouse, London, with the writer receiving a royalty of 8% of the net box office. It will also be published by Nick Hern Books. Closing Date 30 January 2022. Full details HERE.